For this campaign, I chose to review the book Do-It-Yourself Home Energy Audits: 140 Simple Solutions to Lower Energy Costs, Increase Your Home's Efficiency, and Save the Environment. I figured it fit in well with this year's Freeze Yer Buns Challenge as well as the home energy audit contest I will be hosting at the end of the month as part of the challenge.
This book shows you how to increase your home's energy efficiency by offering 140 energy saving solutions, most of which require little in the way of financial investment. The suggestions to improving your home energy efficiency are relatively easy to do and the vast majority of the suggestions were surprisingly cheap. And, all of them will save you money over the long term.
This book shows you how to:
- Implement immediate no and low cost improvements for lighting, heating, electricity, insulation, water use, and more
- Identify and modify the most costly appliances in your home
- Reduce carbon emissions
- Develop a personal energy plan
- Determine how and when to contract your green renovation
- Understand ratings, standards, and conversions
- Fund your green home improvement projects and take advantage of grants, rebates, and tax incentives
Have you ever had a professional energy audit done on your house? Would you want one done? Or do you just try to learn as much as you can and do it yourself?
If you want to participate in the Green Books campaign, make sure you check out the reviews of books on the campaign's list that look interesting to you.