Well, here it is. My first sewing project is complete. I managed to put together an A-line skirt complete with zipper, hook and eye, and trim. Surprisingly enough, it actually fits okay. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though because, based on the instructions in the book I was using as a reference, you don't use a pattern but use your measurements as a guide.
The book I used for this is Sew What! Skirts. The skirt I sewed is an amalgam of a couple different "samples" they have in there.
Anyway, it survived the washing and drying and appears to be fairly solid, although since I don't yet trust my sewing skills, the first time I wear it I'll make sure I have some sort of backup in case a seam decides to loosen itself.
For those of you interested in using recycled materials, here is a great toddler dress that uses a man's shirt as the base fabric. I really want to make this for Emma and I have a shirt that will do nicely.
For those Jane Austen fans, or those just enamored with the dresses from the Regency Era, this site sells patterns (as well as through Simplicity) that will hook you up.
I'm getting so cocky with this whole sewing business that I'm thinking of making one of these while I'm at it.