Well, in spite of the wind, I managed to get quite a bit done today in the garden. We're having some weird tropical storm weather and, even though it's 9:00pm (or is that 8:00?), it's still 60 degrees outside.
I was starting to panic last night thinking of the tremendous amount of things I have to get done to prepare everything for all the stuff I've planned this year. Maybe I'm going overboard, but I missed out on my garden last year and I guess I'm making up for it this time around.
Since Friday I've:
1. Bought lumber for three 4' x 4' raised beds
2. Bought paving stones for walkways between beds (I really don't feel like arguing with the weeds)
3. Dug up the rest of the sod in the lawn for the beds
4. Purchased the compost, peat moss and topsoil
5. Laid down topsoil for under the beds and paving stones
6. Installed the paving stones
I put down topsoil for underneath the beds since when I dug up the sod and flipped it, there remained a very lumpy, bumpy surface. The kids had great fun watching me do all this.
So, next I need to drill together the beds and fill them with my mixture of peat moss, compost and vermiculite (still need to get some of this).
I'm also planning on putting together a raised bed for the kids so they have their own space to garden and won't dig up everything in the other raised beds (they are only 4 and 3-years-old). So I need to prepare the space for that, but it can wait until everything else is done. I have a short raised bed kit that I'll use for this.
Next weekend I'll plant my container potatoes, but in the meantime I'll attempt to assemble the raised beds.
I'll get some decent pictures up soon.